Saturday, May 24, 2008

Friendship

Today, I was glad I joined some old friends for lunch, some are retired school principals and some still faithful to their jobs.
It was good to see them all. I thank my friends for organising the lunch and for including me. I have been so busy the past year that I have neglected this part of my life when I was one of them. I guess you might say, I miss being a school principal with the heavy responsibilities on our shoulders and the students who make your day. I will always treasure those years.
Coming back to friendship, they say, "friends come and go as nature wants it so." We all need friends, "no man is an island". We need someone to talk to, to email to, to sms, to pour our hearts, a shoulder to cry on, we enjoy happy and sad times together, we preservere through good and bad experiences, we also play our parts by being there for them when they need us.
Someone once said "One hundred years from now, nothing you do now will matter...we will be gone from this earth, no one will remember the moment and no one will care". So we should live our best years now, do whatever we can, leave legacies behind if you can and must, enjoy our family and friends, live like there is no tomorrow, dance like we never danced before, love like we have never felt that way... most important as I was chatting with my friend Mei Ling earlier, we must be happy and healthy. So I'd like to thank all my friends I met today, for their friendship, for their time and care and for making my weekend wonderful.
Cheers!

2 comments:

Thinking Allowed said...

Talking about leaving behind a legacy, I was pretty amused by the fact that some big shot was given the fullest praise and respect when he was in service and on the night of his farewell dinner I wonder how the research team could dig up such a pile of his contributions and achievements. The following day everything was forgotten, including him. In this case it is not 100 years. It is instantly. Reason?--Legitimate power without knowledge and character power will not last the moment the legitimate power expires.

Elaine Lee said...

Happily retired has this to say....

True friendship is only felt when one retires.When one is in service, all the so-called 'friends' or 'close workmates'are all around us and the moment never goes quiet without a message in our mobile phone.Agreed that one would see the difference immediately and need not have to wait for 100yrs! But, if the friend , is true, she'll make the effort to call, to response or to include us in their activities.Believe me, I've tested this simple gesture to test for true friendship.A true friend is one who will call or email us somehow within not more than 2 months of our retirement.I am one who is showered with feelings and if one appreciate me I would appreciate them three times.If one does not care for me, I'll cut them off from my life.