Sunday, May 18, 2008

Kundasang:Kursus Biro Tatanegara






Sometime back in January 2008, I took part in a course for senior staff of my organisation: Kursus Biro Tatanegara. Besides lectures each day, we had to wake up early to sing the Negara Ku, and exercise while facing the magnificient Mt Kinabalu. In the evening after class lectures by prominent government officers in the country, we again faced physical workouts which included marching and the famous Pucho-pucho dance.

As I reflect upon my experience, I had the opportunity to mix with my director and other HODs and senior staff from all over the country. I also had the chance to listen, to talk and exchange views of family, life and work with the others. I also found out that at my age, friendship can still be formed and that trust can also be broken. I realised that often life is not what it seems, it seldom is. However, I enjoyed the camaraderie and the ease of friends alike.

Most of all, I enjoyed the physical activity of dance and sports. For the first time in my life, I was given the chance to abseil down a high tower. It took me three attempts to get off the edge but I did it. What a great achievement for me. From then on, I was game for anything. When it was time for jungle and obstacle trekking, I was fully involved. Not the mud, not the heights and steep ravines could stop me. I was on a high. It also showed us that teamwork will get us through everything cos' no one can do everything alone. Together Everyone Achieves More.

Kundasang was a great experience. I will always remember it. There were pleasant and happy memories but also a couple of episodes which I would not want to discuss here nor want to remember. Still on the positive side, I made some achievements I would otherwise not have the chance to. Given the opportunity I would do it again, only maybe this time, I would try the flying fox or kayakking.
Kundasang opened my eyes once again to so many things... to see people as they truly are, to fully comprehend that actions speak louder than words, that everything we do comes with a sense of responsibility and accountabilty, to expect the unexpected, to be ready to accept the truth, that you can't change the past no matter how hard you try. That one can learn so much through shared experiences. That good friends are hard to come by, that we should cherish our friends and loved ones, and that you can come out of circumstances stronger than before. I thank my friend for this, for being there when I needed the shoulder and the space.

Mount Kinabalu with all its majestic view beckons me each day and now dorns my computer wallpaper. I don't know, maybe one day I will go up there and make my peace with nature. For now, it will remain one of my most wonderful experiences and I thank God for giving me that opportunity to be part of the team that underwent the course and also for the friendships forged during the course.

I tell my family that mummy's about to venture into another part of her life and ready for some more adventures that life has to offer. I am looking forward to what life has in store for me, cos' as they say "it ain't over till the fat lady sings the blues".

1 comment:

Michael said...

hi nice to read about your good experience. I am going there next week. Not so seniour though.