Friday, August 15, 2008

Appalled by lack of security at KLIA!

On Saturday, 26 July, I sent my daughter to KLIA to catch the 4.35pm plane (Jetstar) to Singapore.
It was about 3.30pm when I saw her go through the immigration counter and waved goodbye.
Later I was to learn of her horrifying experience. As she went through the metal detector and x-ray machines before going into the departure hall, she put her handbag and laptop/document bag through the machines. The bell sounded as she wore a metallic belt. There were security around and she was given a body check. Once done, couldn’t been more than a couple of minutes, she turned to get her things and they were gone! Yes her handbag and laptop bag. She panicked and asked the security for her things. Nobody seemed to know where her things were or who took them. Mind you, her wallet, hand phone and personal items were in her bag and her precious documents and laptop in the other.
The poor girl was so horrified and yet security could not help. Her presence of mind told her that an Arab family before her could have taken her things. She quickly searched for the family with a security in tow. And lo and behold, she found the family and yes, you guessed it, they had her things. A quick check and her things were still safe in her bags, the family said sorry and that was it. The security just stood by and did not say a word. I should have thought the proper thing would be to haul the family up, and detain them for questioning. Is it so simple as mistakenly taking my daughter’s bags or were they stealing them from under the noses of security.
My daughter was so glad she got her things back and happy to be able to board the plane to Singapore. I wonder if security reported this incident to their bosses. KLIA should review the CCTV recording and view what happened and make sure that when our things go through the x-ray machines or metal detector, they are safe and returned to the correct owners. When we are stopped and given a body check, we have to turn our backs and leave our things out of sight for a few minutes. If security cannot safeguard our things for those few minutes what is the point of putting so many people there. At least 5-6 officers are on duty there. I myself have gone through the similar machines so many times but I guess I was lucky. I wonder if this has happened to others. I am sure this is not the first case, neither will it be the last by the look of things.
Please investigate how it could have happened because I shudder to think what could have happened to my daughter had she lost all her precious belongings. Many of my friends and relatives are appalled at this lack of security when I told them our story. The ‘tak tahu’ attitude has to change and lack of taking charge of the problem has to be addressed. The family should have been hauled in for questioning to plead their innocence. Even if I wanted to give them the benefit of a doubt, my sixth sense tells me how can anyone take two bags which do not belong to them by mistake!
Perhaps KLIA should not only check for metallic objects, drugs and kinds of liquid, you should also look out for “dangerous humans” and potential thieves!
My intention of bringing this to your attention is to request that you to beef up your security personnel to be more alert, know what to do and do the right thing but mostly to warn others of this experience so others can be aware that it happens. I am glad my daughter got her things back. She was so lucky, what if the family had boarded their plane, so many what ifs… and I thought taking a plane was safer than taking a bus!

(An edited version appeared in The Star on 31 Julai 2008.)

No comments: