Thursday, August 16, 2012

Goodbye Mr 'Punch' Gunalan, Malaysia's badminton legend

I was taken by surprise with the news last Wednesday that Mr Punch Gunalan, well-known, much loved  and much respected badminton sportsman had passed away. I wasn't aware he was ill nor did I read anything about his illness. Or maybe I hadn't been reading the papers that much lately. the news reported that he was dignosed with liver cancer back in March and now after 6 months he is gone!
My sincere condolences and sympathies to his wife, son and family members on his untimely demise.

I grew up admiring Mr Punch Gunalan's badminton prowess. Back in the 70's and 80's then, Malaysia was indeed a powerhouse in badminton. And now after 4 decades, badminton still remain the sport to be reckoned with. Young or old, badminton seems to be the number one sport in the country. Punch Gunalan as he was sportingly called was indeed so popular and famous back then, that his posters adorn many a girl's bedroom along side that of Rudy Hartono and Lim Swie King. I am indeed saddened by his departure, for his role in promoting sports during his time both as a player and in the IBF, then WBF has been overwhelming.

I managed to visit his wake yesterday and couldn't help but notice so many wreaths adorning the outisde of his house. He was loved by many and from the many messages I read both on the wreaths and in the message book, many loved and will miss him. As I conveyed my condolences to his widow and son, I felt a sense of regret for not knowing him as a person for he was described by many as understanding, caring, friendly and  a great proponent of badminton.

So many young men and women players passed through his hands and they too remember him. May I also extend my condolences to them on their loss, as his widow said, "we have all lost a friend".
In the midst of celebrating our silver medal won at the rceent Olympics by Dato' Lee Chong Wei, let us also remember other badminton greats who have also passed on and who remain with us.

Let us wish all badminton supporters, players and associations/club members well, for less we forget the man and only focus on the game and winning the elusive Olympic gold medal!

To all, Malaysia once again have lost one of its greatest sportsmen, may his legend live on in the hearts of many, may his family find peace and comfort in knowing that he was well loved and remembered by everyone.

Rest in Peace, Mr Punch Gunalan.

No comments: