Sunday, August 19, 2012

Does playing sports and eating a healthy diet help you live longer?


"Many of us know that a good diet and exercise can help us live longer, healthier lives. It is also true that playing sports does the same. This is because when you play sports, you are more active. Moving with speed and purpose will help increase your heart rate, as well as improve your lung capacity. Even sports like golf are helpful because of all the walking required. The running and jumping that many sports require help us with our overall body conditioning, and any sport that requires strength training is also great. It has been shown that players also have a much easier time fighting diseases such as cardiovascular problems, as well as diabetes. There has also been a correlation between sports and lower risks of cancer. One last advantage of playing sports is the emotional benefits. We learn about teamwork, friendship, and work ethic by working together towards a common goal. These skills not only help while playing sports, but also in other areas of our lives. Eating foods like broccoli, which contains anti-carcinogens; oily fish, which help lower cholesterol and prevents strokes and blood clots; and onions which not only help protect from cancer, but also help protect you from breathing conditions such as asthma, will help you live longer. Combining a good diet with playing sports, of any sort, will improve your overall health and increase your chances of living to a great, ripe old age".

Having read this article reminds me of the need to be active once again in sports and eating healthily. As I age, aches and pains increase and the ability to take part in active sports decrease. I do believe sports and eating healthily will help us live longer.  However, we can eat heathily, follow all kinds of meanimgful diets and foods, anti-radicals, anti-toxins, anti-cancers..the works..but all that comes to nought if we are not able to partake in active sports. I wish I could run and climb hills as I did in my younger days. But my hurtful knees and OA does not permit me. If I can manage some walking and some gardening these days, I am happy. I really hope someone will find a cure and delay ageing of the bones and have a cure for OA, gout and the works. But I know that it won't be possible in the near future. Therefore, I shall live my live to the fullest, go where I want to go and do what I want to do. Lots of places to see and the lights of the famous cities beckon to me. I hope I can live a fulfilled life before the end of my time here on earth.

To all of you who can yet walk and run...do enjoy it while it lasts, and if sports and healthy food help prolong your life, by all means, pay heed and follow the advice.
Good luck and best wishes.

No comments: