Monday, January 12, 2009

Happy New Year: Welcome 2009

Hello all,

Well, 2008 ended with a Bang so to speak. The world’s economy came crashing down, companies, firms all lost money, people lost jobs, many lost everything they have invested in, their life savings, their retirement funds and investments, even their homes and all that they own. For us in Malaysia, the gloomy economic atmosphere lurks menacingly: falling oil prices, inflation, unemployment, falling wages, , social benefits, sponsorship of charitable homes… uncertain future. Everbody seems to be of the opinion that the world’s is in deep recession and 2009 will even be gloomier, but for Malaysia, our economists are positively saying we will ride through it ok! Well, I hope so, for us all.

I was working right through the New year’s eve so didn’t have time to post any blogs on the New Year or resolutions. Guess where I am now, in Cameron Highlands, ya, so cool and relaxing. We decided to divert here after a New Year’s day wedding dinner of my husband’s nephew in Penang. It was a good decision, though it was a long drive via Simpang Pulai through relatively smooth. After the steam boat dinner last nite ,( not to KL standards), and the long walk through the Brinchang streets, sampling the fried delicacies (yes, there goes whatever diets I had in mind to start the New Year), through the drizzle and biting cold, we snuggled back to the warmth in our apartment. It was a three bedroom apartment, so comfort wise it was ok. This was my 2nd outing to CH but for my hubby and kids, it was their first. CH is still as cool as it has been propounded to be. One thing we didn’t like was the numerous vehicles that plied the narrow streets but I guess everyone wanted to get away from KL and likewise, so we did have to endure black soot and smoke as we walked.

Anyway, early next morning, we had breakfast in Tanah Rata, then made our way to the famous Sungei Palas Tea Plantation, stopping at various points for pictures, (albeit dangerously narrow roads), went for a tour of the factory, learnt all about tea making and types of tea, shopped at the tea shop, then had tea and cakes in the café, besides snapping ourselves silly with momentoes. My kids enjoyed it all. We also managed to buy some vegetables, strawberries, jam and potted plants to round up our short holiday. CH isn’t too bad for a short get away, you should try it sometimes. The journey down via Tapah was a bit tricky with little pockets of land slides and rock slides and the continuous rain dan drizzle didn’t help. After an hour and a half we were down and had lunch at a small restaurant outskirts of Tapah. Then it was home sweet home.

So now back to my New Year resolutions. I guess I have conveniently forgotten what I wanted to do last year, but at the back of my mind, I guess what I am going to put down now, would be similar. I hope I will be able to make good of the resolutions this year, else as they say, why bother making them at all, if one doesn’t want to follow them. As I said earlier, change or be changed. I will not have any new resolutions but hold on to what I said in my earlier blog on “Don’t sweat the small stuff”. Most important, I will not let negative things make me unhappy, I will remain positive and look forward. I will look after myself well and also the welfare of those dear and near to me.

So to one and all, I wish you a good year and may all your wishes come true.

Cheers!

No comments: